Living with chronic pain and sensory health conditions from the time I entered adulthood I learnt at a young tender age how to use my own resources wisely. I learnt the more I pushed my body the more over stimulated I would become and thus the more pain my body would be in. The pain would be the onset of the push however in the days, weeks and even months that followed; the one day of pushing could result in a flair up of fatigue, pain, rashes and emotional upset.
Instead of putting myself through this, my days were properly regimented to ensure a stable healthy diet, limiting caffeine and sugars, proper sleep, and an organizational schedule that drove my inner world bonkers. As soon as I received assignments and course outlines I made plans on how to tackle them to have them completed on time. My fear was to have an assignment only minimally complete and be in a flair up that would last for days.
Reading and typing would be sectioned off into appropriate chunks, meals would be planned accordingly as well. At the beginning of the term baking and cooking would fill the freezer in singly portioned containers, labeled and stored in the freezer for the busier times in my life.
If dinner parties were held, I would start planning in advance to ensure enough energy prevailed for the actual event. I would start a week ahead of time with the menu, next day shopping and if I could start preparing the food in advance I would, freezing it however the discharge plan did not come with any more concrete plan then to continue my daily routine as planned out and stress free as possible, leaving times for breaks and sleep. Continue swimming and attending the day centre's programming.
My goals and ideals of therapy did not line up with my therapists. Once I was able to for these words we were able to work around this and plan a successful outcome based program which worked for both of us. The way I think of it is, going to a dinner party with my prepackaged cookies from the grocery store. Arriving to the party, handing them over I state, sorry it's been a bad day - would you rather see me awake or would you rather have me asleep but my homemade cookies?
No comments:
Post a Comment