Accepting your chronic illness and disability is never easy. Give it time though, work into it and let it mould you. Don't attempt to fight it though, this will make you grow old fast. In April of 2018, I realized after much fight that I
would never be able to return as a child protection worker, never less a
teacher. I spent the next eight months
attempting to come to grips with this.
All I knew thus far was how to be these things. My employment consumed who I was. It was my social life, and it was what I dove
into. I knew how to overcome
disability, pain and work. These were
the systems that I was good at. Being a
workaholic and pushing through – being the “Martha” in the equation of life.
What I was not good at was taking
time for myself and realizing who I was becoming. I needed to accept what I had and realize
that no matter how hard I worked in therapy, therapy was only as good as the
therapist and doctor who preforms it.
They could only give me the coping mechanisms to push through, to adapt
my life to the betterment of myself. It
was up to me, to face the hard stuff, and put these tools and adaptations into
place.
The rest, the hard stuff, is
accepting who I was becoming and realizing that it is the tools that will
assist; not replace who I once was. I
needed to accept this and overcome the emotional and mental block to move forward,
surrendering myself to the new me. In
the midst of the transition I lost a lot of good friends in the mix.
As the intensive Chronic Pain
Management Program came to a close, I realized that that the clinic was my safe
zone. I spent six hours a day, four days a week there for six weeks. I spent more hours speaking to the team over
the telephone. They were my crutch and I
relied on my therapists for every breathing moment. The safe zone is the difference between having others people supporting you and doing it all by
yourself.
I could feed off the attention and
encouragement of the team in the clinic much like you can from the enthusiasm
of well-wishing line in the roots of a swimming meet. But once removed from
either of those situations it gets lonely in a hurry and how much you get
through the hard times depended on me.
At the start of the program I had a
solid support network- team Sam that was ready to help me whenever I
allowed. They would jump at the chance to send a text, or a phone call to
be there for me. But as the six weeks went on, and the time after this
dragged on, Team Sam separated themselves, as things got harder and more
adaptations came into place. I had to accept fate during this process.
I had to accept that I was not a
victim. I wasn’t going to live life on
self pity and misery anymore. I wasn’t
going to wake up and go to sleep crying anymore. I wasn’t going to be able to do things that
brought me so much joy in the past. Working
in child welfare, camping, skiing, kayaking, writing and reading were
gone. These things also defined me to others and to myself.
I no longer knew who I was and I
did not have an identity anymore. The hardest admission of all was realizing
that these losses were final. I was walking with a walker, using
a foot brace to keep my foot from dragging on the floor. Using adaptive aids to eat, bathe and dress
with. Cue cards and apps kept my mind focused
when my memory failed and the largest, have the catheter in me and having my
urine exposed to the world to see. This
is how I saw and viewed it. I did use my
creative skills to sew a case around the outside, so that it was not as exposed
to the world. Once I did this, I felt
more comfortable going out in public once again.
I had to accept what I had lost
before I could find what was left. What
could I do, and what did I want to do? I
started creating new outlets and routines for myself. I would take time to pray both personally and
with friends, joining the prayer team at church. I could start swimming again during the day
and I could spend time outside under a tree, listening to a new audio
book. Puzzles and mind games encompassed
my day as much as aids and timers did. I
could still crochet, using the larger grips on the hook and I could bless
friends with small gifts. I could
explore new pathways for myself, joining my new “chronic pain” friends for tea
after exercise group. I could be still
and be happy being still.
I could also join in programs that
I never foresaw myself joining in before.
I joined Alpha Court Day Centre; for people whom were going through
mental health issues. I joined the
NorWest yoga class, I dropped in occasionally to the PACE IT chronic pain
program to revisit the educational classes and lectures. I also practiced these activities at home,
surrounded by solitude.
I did have to learn to pace myself
in all of these activities (See plan and pace post) I could no
longer go, go, go, drop and sleep. My
day had to be well formulated and planned out in advance. Spontaneity was not my strong suit
anymore. I knew if I did, I would pay
for it the next day, week, or month.
It was a painful, loss. Acceptance
was so difficult and the framework I had chosen with which to move ahead before
and after. I find myself making comparisons between before the onset of the
injury when I was healthy and strong and could do anything whenever and
wherever I wanted and after the injury had struck when I could do so very
little. It was a natural bit of a dangerous comparison. It also triggered
feelings of embarrassment, shame and guilt.
Embarrassment or shame because I
hadn't always been more than healthy. However, I was able to control my
pain in a way that gave me successful quality of life. My lifestyle
reflected on that. I ate well, never smoked or did recreational drugs and
exercised. Most of the time it was a good life. The losses I felt guilty
before. These were because I wondered if I had done something in my past
for which God with settling the score. I became upset with friends and
family who took their lives for granted and viewed myself ‘sicker’ then
them. I regretted the day of the injury,
the day I found the pain and these anniversary days soon encompassed my life,
and thus, I needed to move on.
The main outcome of accepting my
fate as a disease survivor was the evaporation of the embarrassment, shame and
guilt that I had carried.
I was human and I had emotional and
mental breakdowns. But thankfully, there
was the friend, the family member and the therapist who helped pick me up
again. My church was behind me,
anointing me with oil when I needed to be picked up again. Suicide was real. However, I knew that how deeply I wanted to
swallow the pills and end it, that on the other side, this is how deeply people
actually cared about me, and knew how strong I was.
I was alive again, and content with
what I and who I was. It was hard,
bloody hard. However, I was free to
explore and test the limits. If I fell,
I got back up again and continued testing what I could and could not do. I give credit to William Sutherland
and “Acceptance is not surrender” novel for this piece of information and
criteria as it was the foundation – building blocks for how I overcame my
world, that was crushing down.
One of the successes that really
assisted me with my daily struggle was my worry wheel. This is a wheel that I made, with all my
worries coming out of the spokes. I
allowed myself five minutes in the morning and five minutes in the evening to
pick a worry, and only think about that very thing. After my alarm went off, the worry wheel went
away, and I started me day all over again.
My life was never easy, and success
was along way off. My therapists always
commended me on my effort, the reliability of attending and being fully
present, in the sessions. It was my
inner strength and determination to beat this disease that got me to where I am
today. No, I am not healthy. But I am not sick either. My mind is in control of my body and it is
the stress that fluctuates the nervous system.
The pain scale varies in how much I feel control of the day, and the
powers the lay in it. I am more
assertive and more vocal about my health care plan. I am realizing that I am in control and that
we need that in our daily lives. My job
isn’t to contribute to the betterment of society at this point, but instead, to
get myself better to a place where I can function!
Just keep swimming and be
kind.
No comments:
Post a Comment