Sunday, May 13, 2018

Flying with disabilities

Before disabilities hit, flying used to be a piece of cake.  I would arrive at the airport, just in the nick of time, before the cut off through security happened.  I would race through security, and ensure that I had enough time to use the facilities before boarding the plane.  My goal would be to be the last person on the plane, and I would have exactly what I needed in my carry on luggage - and nothing more.  Traveling was fun and an amazing adventure would await.

This stopped as my pain increased, disabilities were diagnosed and I acquired more items that assisted me with daily living.   However, this did not stop me from traveling and flying.  It did however, take more time and pre-planning needed to happen.  After purchasing my ticket online, telephone calls were made to ensure that the airline had the proper disabilities on their records to keep me safe during the travels.  I always disclose my hearing impairment, as I cannot hear the inflight announcements; especially on the smaller turbo jet planes.     Packing was always a joyful mess, because I started thinking of the "what ifs" that could occur.   I packed more medication than needed, just in case I was delayed or just in case I had a pain flair up.   I also packed more clothes, just in case the catheter started to leak or the tubing came out - an embarrassing sight for all whom are around me.   

One also needs to ensure that they get to the airport before the cut off time, to actually stand in line to check in.   Once given notice that they have arrived, going through security is another bundle of joys.  It really depends on the security officer that is working that day, how the process will go.  I usually just follow their lead though, and disclose my disabilities and conditions as the time allows.  This way, they take the charge and the hand of time.    

Airlines need follow human rights codes and ethics need to be followed.  Just follow the lead of the attendant and life will proceed.  Be cautious but not leery and do not let your conditions follow you.  At first, I thought my catheter bag would blow up on the plane with the cabin pressure.  But people stated the direct opposite and it was actually fine!  Flying with an indwelling catheter is no big deal, because honestly, you won't have to get up to use the washroom.  Just remember to empty the bag before flying!

Using the walker and afo right onto the tarmac gives me the independence I need to make me feel normal.  I allow myself to pre board.  Preboarding is allows a mixed bag of tricks.   Flight attendants want to load the plane as quickly as possible, and as such pre boarding is a mess.   The regular boarding people usually end of streaming ahead of me as i turtle walk through the area getting to my seat.  Leaving the walker at the side of the plane- I always say a small prayer in hopes that it’s there waiting for me on the other side!   Self medicate and with a bit of faith; you too can travel again.  

It will be okay my friends, do not let this stop you - go out travel and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Functional Neurological Disorder

This is a disorder that falls somewhere between Neurology and Psychology.   It’s basically when your neurological system starts to shut down...